I made these yesterday morning for breakfast for the week. What’s great about these is you can make them ahead of time, and then heat them up in the microwave as you need them! You can customize the fillings to meet the cravings you have! I’ve made them with diced ham, mushrooms and shredded cheddar cheese and with bacon, mushrooms and shredded cheddar cheese. They are great both ways! And if you want to watch your carbs…just leave out the crescent rolls (yep…I’ve made them that way, too)!!
Here’s the recipe:
What You Will Need:
1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
8 large eggs (or six extra large eggs)
1/8 cup of milk (I added a little more than 1/8 cup but that’s about the right amount)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or whatever shredded cheese you would like)
Mix-ins: Bacon (cut up in small pieces), Sausage (crumbled), Mushrooms (diced), Diced Ham, Peppers (diced), Onions (diced), Turkey Sausage (crumbled), Turkey Bacon (cut up in small pieces) or whatever your little heart desires!
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2) Cook your meat. I used the pre-cooked bacon and diced ham to save time. It was SUCH a time saver!! Just unwrap the bacon and cut…it was great! And you can pick up cooked diced ham at any supermarket.
3) If you are adding veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, etc) I highly suggest pre-cooking them. Some people put them in raw and let them cook in the oven…but I’ve found that I get better results when I pre-cook them. Especially the mushrooms. No need to add butter, you can just spray a pan with Pam and cook up the veggies.
4) Mix the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Make sure you mix them well. I was heavy handed on the salt and pepper, and I would recommend that. It adds a lot of flavor. (Remember: Just because you are adding salty things such as bacon or ham to your eggs doesn’t mean that it flavors every bite with the salt…so you must add seasoning!)
5) Spray your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
6) Line each muffin slot with crescent dough. I found that cutting them to fit works nicely…then take the scraps and smush them together to fill the other muffin slots.
7) Put in mix-ins. Be sure not to fill them too full.
8) Add egg mixture to each muffin tin. Be sure not to fill to the top or you will have a mess!
9) Top with shredded cheese.
10) Put in the oven for about 30 – 35 minutes.
11) Take out and ENJOY!
I find that these are great to have during the week…I just pop them in the microwave and eat them right at my desk. So much cheaper than stopping at McDonald’s every morning for a breakfast sandwich!!
If you try these out, let me know what you put in and how it came out!